Parents Money (Elterngeld)


Parents Money (Elterngeld) is meant for those wanting to be primary caregivers during the first 14 months of a child's life and can thus not work full-time. Conditions apply as to who is eligible. This time can be split between parents and it is possible to work part-time and still collect financial help. Because it is so complicated, it is best to apply directly to the address provided below.

Starting in 2015, and applicable to parents of children born on or after January 1, 2015 is a new additional program Elterngeld Plus making part-time work for one or both partners more lucrative.

In general, EU citizens have the same rights as German citizens, but this does not apply if you are receiving financial assistance from your home country.

Non-EU-citizens may also receive Elterngeld, but it depends on the type of visa and your length of stay.

Where to apply

For all of Baden-Württemberg, the responsible bureau is the Landesbank Baden-Württemberg (L-Bank).

E-mail:  familienfoerderung(at)

Telephone:  0800 6645 471 (M-F between 8:30 am and 4 pm)