Sign up for our newsletter !


All EU residents who live or work in Germany are entitled to a child benefit/allowance (Kindergeld) under the same conditions as German citizens.

Non-EU residents may also be entitled to a child benefit/allowance — this will depend on the the type of visa you have and the length of intended stay.

Generally, you are entitled to this support until your children are 18 years of age or while they remain in full-time education.

To receive Kindergeld in Germany you must not receive child support from any other country.

Where to apply

The Family Benefits Office (Familienkasse), which is part of the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit - BA) is responsible for the paperwork. The office below is responsible for Karlsruhe and many of the neighboring towns.

Familienkasse Karlsruhe
Kriegsstr. 100, 76133 Karlsruhe (here's a map)

Office hours are: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday:   08:00 - 12:00, Thursday also 14:00 - 18:00

E-Mail: Familienkasse-Baden-Wuerttemberg-West.F12(at)arbeitsagentur(dot)de

Telephone number for questions about Kindergeld: 0800 4 5555 30 — between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.


For mailing things use this address:

Familienkasse Baden-Württemberg West
76088 Karlsruhe

For online paperwork, go here.


More Information

You can read all about it in English here.


If things look too complicated to manage on your own – please contact Relocation Service move-in who will be happy to provide support for this important benefit.