Veterinary Emergency in Karlsruhe



0721 49 55 66

answering machine will inform you of the veterinary practice open

General Info

House pets are common in Germany - dogs, cats, fish, snakes, hamsters etc. It wouldn't be Germany if there weren't rules and regulations concerning them and their owners.

If you are living in a rental property, check your contract if house pets are allowed. Ones that make noise may not be.

Before bringing your pet to Germany, make sure it has all the correct shots - you may need to show proof &/or your pet may need to be quarantined. If you will be bringing your pet from overseas and flying, make sure you are aware of all the airline regulations and those of any transit countries.


As a general rule, dogs are very well behaved in Germany. They accompany their owners (Frauchen und Herrchen - literally little woman and little man) to restaurants and in stores (but not grocery stores) — they are even transported in bicycle baskets. Most dogs go to a dog school (Hundeschule) to learn basic behavioral skills. If in doubt, ask before you bring your dog into an establishment.

In most cases, dogs must be on a leash. There are some regions in Karlsruhe where dogs are allowed to run free (Hundeauslaufflächen). They can be found here.  In some cities and some regions for certain dogs, a muzzle is required - even in these special areas. It is your responsibility to determine if your dog is in this category.

You must clean up after your dog immediately. Some areas have special dispensers with plastic bags for this purpose. If not, you must bring your own.

Dog Tax (Hundesteuer)

If you live within Karlsruhe, you must register your dog either within one month of getting the dog or once the dog has reached the age of three months. This can be done at any Bürgerbüro or Ortsverwaltung or you can fill out a form on-line. This means you must pay a dog tax which is €120 a year (current as of Nov 2017) for each dog. Surrounding towns may have different rates. Remember to "re-register" your pet if you move to another city.

Liability Insurance (Haftpflichtversicherung)

Check your liability insurance policy and make sure your pet is covered, i.e., that you are covered in case your pet causes damage. If not, you may want to take out insurance for your dog (Hundehaftpflichtversicherung).

Health Insurance (Hundegesundheitsversicherung)

Amazing but true, health insurance is available for your dog. You can decide if it's worth it or not.

Veterinarians (Tierarzt)

Most towns have one or more vets. Ask around for a trusted one. If you don't have insurance, you may need to pay cash up front or you may be billed - it depends on the vet. Veterinary Emergency in Karlsruhe:  0721 49 55 66 (answering machine will inform you of the veterinary practice open)